Monday, December 9, 2013

Birthday Parties lead to dirty books, drinking and smoking!

KJ’s Birthday is coming up, she wants to take a couple of friends and go to a movie.  Sounds like a great idea.  I’m all for a movie night even if it’s with a bunch of pre-teens.  I haven’t been to a movie since before we had kids.  I just hope I can sit through a whole movie.  We watch movies here at home once and a while, but I am almost as bad as BR.  Neither one of can sit still.  I have an urge to get up and fold clothes or something, you know, that Mommy ADD! J
Last year at Christmas the first movie in the Hunger Games Series came out on DVD.  KJ begged for this movie, so that’s what she got for Christmas.  She was a little disappointed I think.  A movie is never as good as the book.  She begged and begged to read those books.  I had heard about them, and had heard they were a little bit violent.  Naturally, I thought I should read them first.
I bought the first book for us to read.  It sat on my dresser for months; I was going to read it.  Anytime KJ came into my bedroom and spied the book, she would ask if I had started it.  My answer was always no, soon!  To be honest, it had been years since I actually sat down and read a book, probably since before the kids were born. (Do you see a pattern developing?)  I used to read all of the time, I loved nothing more than a good book.  When I was pregnant with KJ that was all I did was read.
Now 10 years later I hadn’t touched a book, but it’s just like riding a bike, once you get back on it all comes back to you.  I finally sat down and started reading.  The more I read, the less I did.  I was starting to realize why I hadn’t read a book in 10 years.  Back then if I cleaned the house, it stayed that way, now it doesn’t so much!  I had also forgotten how easily I get sucked into a book and the only thing I can do until that book is finished, is read.  Did I mention I was about 7 months pregnant and it was the middle of a hot dry miserable summer? It was almost as if you could watch my house deteriorate around me.  Four children ran amuck, while their pregnant mother sat in a chair next to the AC vent with a book. 
I finished it and KJ begged to read it.  I wasn’t sure if she should, for crying out loud, it’s a story about kids killing kids in a sick twisted government game.  The husband says, “Just let her read it!” Of course he hasn’t read a book since high school, unless it was a manual for a piece of equipment or about a snowmobile.  Long story short she got to read it, then we were both hooked, we both read the whole series.  KJ was in love with the books!  She dressed as Katniss Everdean for Halloween, and made up her own version of the Hunger Games that her and her sisters played out in the tree belt.  So naturally she wanted to watch the movie when it came out.  Being the cheapskate parents that we are however, we made her wait until it came out on DVD and I could buy it on Black Friday.  So guess what movie KJ wants to see for her birthday?  That’s right Catching Fire.
Speaking of Catching Fire, my book reading didn’t stop there!  I was hooked and in a bad way!  RJ was born in August, and the girls used some money they had from selling their bum lamb to buy a kindle.  Now if that wasn’t just the best idea, electronic books.  I spent the next six month sitting in a rocking chair with an infant: reading, breast feeding and drinking coffee.  Could explain why RJ is a Momma’s girl, and why my ass is a little wider than it was before.
I had heard all of the hullabaloo about the 50 Shades of Grey series too.  I had heard it was pretty racy.  I thought it couldn’t be that bad?  Naturally I felt the need to check it out.  So I started the first book, Holy Moly if that didn’t make your toes curl!  While you were reading you felt the need to drink a bottle of wine, and when you were finished you wanted to smoke a cigarette. 
When you started reading this post I was talking about pre-teen birthday parties, and somehow we ended up talking about dirty books, wine and smoking cigarettes.  This is what goes on in my head all day long people!  One crazy thing leads to another!

2 comments:

  1. TaTania,

    I read the Hunger Games series. I really enjoyed them! In my opinion, they are adult fiction and not for Junior High-Early High School aged students. I have not seen the movie.

    I have heard a lot about 50 Shades. That is not my genre of reading and my Sister was NOT impressed.

    Good Luck with the birthday girl issue. Happy Birthday to KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the 50 shades series is for everybody, and hopefully I can control the mommy ADD long enough to go to a movie with my girl!!

    ReplyDelete