Sunday, December 29, 2013

Winter Pants!

Well it is official!  I fit into my winter pants!  It’s never a goal I have but every year I manage to accomplish it.  The stinky part is, I will probably fit into them until Spring.  March will roll around and I will start getting busier outside and spend less time in the house and in the kitchen.  I won’t crave the warm comfort foods of winter and will instead be craving the fresh vegetables from the garden. By June I should be able to get into my Summer Pants (maybe)!  Then the cool Fall weather will start and without even trying I will start working on getting into my winter pants again!  Do you see a viscous circle? 
The growing into the winter pants is usually accompanied by my addiction to fudge during the Holidays.  I usually make my first pan of fudge for Thanksgiving.  The second pan gets made the first week of December for whatever reason: company coming, a school function or just because I feel like it.  Then usually by the 15th of December we will have made one if not two more, this depends on how many people we decide to give gift baskets of baked goods to.  And if necessary I may make a couple different flavors. Cherry fudge topped with chocolate is one of my favorites!  When Christmas rolls around so does another pan of fudge, and if that one gets eaten by New Years, we just have to make one more. 
By the first of the year I’m contemplating checking into some sort of fudge rehab center.   Really if they have drug and alcohol rehab centers, it only makes since they would have one for fudge.  It’s just as addicting and can have devastating effects.  When the pan is close to empty I start hording it.  I tell the kids that it’s all gone so I don’t have to share, or wait until nobody is around to eat it.  If nobody sees you eat it, did you really eat it?  As soon as the pan is empty, I try to not think about it. I tell myself I don’t need it, and nothing else I eat fills the void left by the missing fudge.  I will start to get a headache, I start to get the shakes and become really, really crabby! I wander aimlessly around the kitchen looking for something to satisfy my craving, but alas nothing but fudge will work. 
My only hope is to run out of marshmallow cream or evaporated milk.  Since the closest grocery store is at least 30 miles away I stand a chance at kicking this addiction.  I mean who really drives 30 miles for marshmallow cream?  People do crazy things for their drugs, but thank the lord, I’m too tight to drive that far for the sake of a pan of fudge.   My WONDERFUL mother in-law gave me a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas.  Nothing goes better with a cup of coffee than fudge.  So for the last week, I’ve done nothing but drink coffee and eat fudge.  When the fun of making cups of coffee at the drop of the hat and the last piece of fudge wears off, this could get ugly! I am still working on the last half of the pan from Christmas, and New Year’s Eve is only a couple of days away.  So until then, my family is oblivious to the ticking time bomb they are living with.
I had plans for kicking this year’s addiction with the new treadmill I was going to get for Christmas, and dates with Jillian Michaels.  I can still hook up with Jillian Michaels, when she doesn’t tick me off for trying to kill me. However my plans for a new treadmill fell through.  For months before Christmas I told the girls to tell The Husband that I wanted a new treadmill for Christmas. The one I have was a pretty cheap one to begin with, it’s duct taped together, I can’t read the screen anymore and the motor and belt make so much noise I can’t hear the TV over the top of it. TB told me “Dad doesn’t have that kind of money, Mom.” When I mentioned that they suggest it to their dad.  One day on the way to the bus, BR was putting a bug in Dad’s ear about what he should get me for Christmas.  TB pipes up in the back seat, and says “Don’t worry Dad, I already told mom you don’t have that kind of money!”  So needless to say I didn’t get the treadmill I had hoped for.  The husband said I didn’t ask for anything realistic…I’m not sure what’s not realistic about a new treadmill.  It’s not like I asked for the new body I wish I had after having 5 kids, now that would’ve been “not realistic.”
 I guess I will just have to annoy the crap out of my husband with the old treadmill enough to get a new one.  Maybe I should run on it while he’s trying to watch football.  Nothing says “I love you” like a little payback paired with a New Year’s diet.  
Wishing everybody a Happy New Year and here’s to fitting into your “Summer Pants” before summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment