Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas "Spirit"

I’ve been making an attempt to get ready for Christmas.  So much I should be doing, so much not getting done.  So instead of being productive, I’ve chosen to sit down and do this.  Actually the kids get out of school early today and I will have to run to the bus shortly to get them.  So really no point in starting something I know I won’t finish.
So glad I won’t be having Christmas at my house this year, simply haven’t had the time to do a deep cleaning on my house.  That or maybe I just haven’t made an attempt at deep cleaning my house.  Either way a clean house would be so much more fun if somebody else would do it for me.  It actually seemed easier to keep things cleaner when the kids were tiny, now they are big enough to drag lots more stuff out and make even bigger messes.  Yes, they do their fair share of cleaning around here too.  But let’s be honest, their idea of “clean” and my idea of clean are two different things. 
I’ve learned to live with their idea of clean to a certain extent.  To be honest I can’t keep up with everybody.  So sometimes half-assed is better than nothing.  I often have to remind myself when I walk into their bathroom and can’t see myself because they’ve used Commit to clean the mirror; at least they tried to clean it.  When I look at the balls of clothes lying on the coffee table, at least they tried to fold them. Or as I walk across the kitchen floor and step in a big puddle of water, I try to convince myself it’s cleaner than when they started.
 Even though we don’t plan on having Christmas at our house, we do plan on hosting the 4-H Christmas party.  So I still need to spruce up a little bit.  It may be a good idea to fold the pile of laundry looming on the couch. For some reason I think the families in the 4-H club may appreciate having a place to sit, no need for the piles of underwear folded up on the coffee table to be the center of conversation.  At least it would all be clean. We wouldn’t be airing out our dirty laundry! (HA HA HA)
I use to be a stressed out mess during Christmas.  I had this preconceived notion that all “good” moms made and decorated sugar cookies, homemade Christmas tree ornaments and other “crafty” Christmas items.  What I found out is I am not one of THOSE kinds of moms.  I’m not crafty, at all!  I can bake a thing or two, but don’t bake anything that requires being decorated or made to resemble some sort of Christmas character.  (This also includes Birthday cakes!!)  Remember…not crafty, at all!  So why stress about it.  I can admit my short comings, and have resorted to buying bottles of wine for Christmas.  Really who doesn’t love a bottle of wine?  I’d rather have a bottle of wine over a sugar cookie any day! 
In fact, the kids got out of school early yesterday and wanted to do some baking so Santa had some cookies to eat.  It was snowing and cold out so I made a pot of coffee and we started to bake, we even turned on Pandora and listened to “Traditional Christmas Music”.  This was my attempt at getting into the spirit!  After a short time I could see we were going to need something stronger than coffee and Christmas music to get through the baking, and get into the Christmas SPIRIT.  Not 5 minutes in they were at each other’s throats!  Of course each one wants to bake their own kind of cookies, so we can’t just work together and make one or two.  Long story short we made 3 different kinds of cookies and a pan of fudge. When we were finished the counters were covered in powdered sugar, and you could hear the sugar on the floor grinding under your shoes.  All the while I think, “Where did the tradition of leaving cookies for Santa come from?  All Santa really wants is a big glass of wine!”  At least all mom really wants is a big glass of wine! 
I guess the vision of a drunken fat man sneaking into your house through the chimney shouting HO, HO, HO, even if he does leave presents, doesn’t paint the coziest of pictures.  Hey look at it this way at least he would have eight designated drivers. 
Ok so that might not be such a good idea! But please, if really love mom and want to get her something she will appreciate and use for Christmas, all you have to do is wrap up her favorite bottle of wine!  Because if she is a stressed as most of us get, it will make it all OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment